Saturday 8 January 2011

Unit 208 ,theme 2 - And The Candle-Stick Maker !

                                                                        
The Boss -Annie.
ISO 400   f/s  5.6  s/s 1/50.
Flash Fired.
Annie in the work shop, holding one of the jugs we use for pouring hot wax into candle molds .I like this shot, it is a shame there are shadows behind Annie, but the work shop is extremely dark. One of the photographers I have researched has shot photos here and they had to remove some of the roof sections to let some natural light in , which was a time consuming job. The camera I use, finepix S5600, it has a fixed flash unit which fires forwards only and has not got the flash mover-ability and  strength of an external flash unit.

The Hurricane.
ISO400  f/s 5.6  s/s 1/50.

Flash Fired
Annie holding one of her wears, this is a hurricane candle made of wax and dried fruit . Annie is stood in front of the original door to her work shop which used to be the black-smiths workshop in the 1800s , you can see the original iron-work and other interesting pieces hanging , this also gives the photograph character as well as texture, shape and pattern. Again I wish the shot was more crisp and lighter .

Candles and Christmas.
ISO 400  f/s 5.0  s/s 1/40
I really like this shot ,I think the light is right ,its central ,good composition, nice texture in the wreaths that are hanging above the door, the rule of thirds appears vertically .

Ready Made.
ISO  400  f/s3.2  s/s1/60.
Here I have tried to recreate one of Andrew  Montgomery's shots , in a similar place in the workshop ,in black and white , again there are shadows present and the shot could of been a little clearer. The subject is in the frame ,there is  texture in the wall and good composition .



I Think I'm Getting On Her Wick .
ISO 400  f/s  3.2  s/s  1/60.
There is plenty of texture in this shot 



Afternoon Delight.
ISO 200  f/s  8  s/s  1/60
No Flash
I love this shot of Annie, the afternoon sun was just at eye level as Annie leaned in for the shot. I think the light is great ,the texture of the fur on the hat and wall behind Annie is apparent ,the shape of the bottles and the lines of the perspex sheeting all add to the photograph.

The shots again in this theme have a lot of shadow due to me not using my camera correctly , I have brought a tripod and now know how to open the shutter to allow light in .


Below are links to photographs that I have taken for Annie at on a Wick and a Prayer, all the shots of the candle cabinets, reed diffusers and two shots in the scented glass candles  section have been taken by myself in the summer of 2010 ( blue flock and silver rose candles).





My camera - Finepix 5600 .
Fuji Finepix S5600




                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment