Wednesday 13 October 2010

Statement of Intent for Assignment - 208 The Principles of location photography.


I have chosen unit 208 , Principles of location photography .
I have chosen my two themes for this unit and will produce a minimum of 10 ten images for each theme. I have chosen assignment 208 as this unit will enable me to build up my skills technically and visually with my folio of images being about nature ,people and portraits .
Nature and Landscape .
My love of animals, plants, trees and all thats wild will be right up my path, as I am out and about in the fresh air as much as possible, this assignment will enable me to continue to do what I enjoy doing and hopefully produce some excellent images and increase my technical skills . I will be researching Charlie Waite ,Joe Cornish ,Antony Spencer, Tom Mackie and Johnathan Critchley  I have chose these Landscape/nature photographers because they relate to my theme and their techniques and pictures are striking each in their own individual way . 
People and portraits.
 I am the oldest child of five children in my family and have always played a big part in my siblings lives as they have   grown up(or not as the case may be). I constantly spend time with my two children whom are really old enough not to want anything to do with their mother but they enjoy my company and I theirs  .I have lived and worked around the Ashbourne area for all of my life, and know most of the people in the town.  I am a big people person and feel very lucky to have such a great bunch of friends. When I am taking pictures of my family and friends I have fun and get excited about the pictures I have taken, that is why I feel people and portraits is the next theme for me in this assignment . The photographers I will be researching , again relate to people and portraits and theme I have chosen ,butcher ,baker, candle stick maker , Lewis.w.Hine ,Andrew Montgomery ,Irving Penn ,Paul Strand and Alfred Stieglitz .
Equipment and why !
The equipment I shall be using is a Finepix s 5600 with a built in flash .This is the only camera I have and can be turned to manual ,I have two sets of nimh rechargeable batteries ,two XD cards one 1GB and a 2 GB to store captured images  ,a camera bag ,a lens cloth  and eventually a tripod! The cameras ISO ranges from 64 to 1600 and the exposure from 3.2 to 8 and a shutter speed of 1/2000 to 15 . 
Techniques and Why. 
The techniques I will be used to help me achieve a good picture will be ISO, either grain or sharp the shutter speed to speed or slow things down in moving objects, and the aperture which will allow me to regulate the amount of light I would like in my images. These different settings will allow me to convey a visual message in my photograph as well as the composition , color , shape,  pattern ,rule of thirds , tonal range ,depth of field ,texture ,form and perspective .  
Light quality and Why.
Considering light is a major thought in photography ,the different light can make or break your shot  .Using your aperture setting , a kiss of flash or even a light reflector will help you achieve the right lighting and effect . 
Safety considerations.
Considering health and safety is important for others as well as yourself and your equipment .  when I am out and about I always have someone with me if I go further afield I get someone else to drive so i can keep my eyes open for  locations and other photo opportunities .
I always use a neck strap and have a waterproof bag to keep my kit protected.
I always keep to the paths and ask for permission if I would want to enter private land.
I also am aware ethical considerations ,ie taking images of religious buildings and beliefs .  




No comments:

Post a Comment